- Catalogue N°
- 670.010.096 - 1 x 96 (pre-coated)
670.010.192 - 2 x 96 (pre-coated)
- Assay Range
- 31.3 pg/ml - 2000 pg/ml
- 12 pg/ml
- Target species
- Recognizes both natural and recombinant rat IL-6
- Sample Type
- Serum, Plasma, Cell culture supernatant
- Sample Size
- 50 µl
- Cross Reaction
- No cross reactivity with other rat cytokines
- Kit Content
- Diaclone ELISA Kits include pre-coated strip plates, biotinylated secondary antibody, standards, controls (where applicable), buffers, streptavidin-HRP, TMB, stop reagents and a detailed procedure.
Interleukin-6 (IL-6) is a multi-functional cytokine that regulates immune responses, acute phase reactions and hematopoiesis and may play a central role in host defense mechanisms.
IL-6 is usually not produced constitutively by normal cells, but its expression is readily induced by a variety of cytokines, lipopolysaccharide or viral infections.
IL-6 is a pleiotropic cytokine produced by a variety of cells. It acts on a wide range of tissues, exerting growth-induction, growth-inhibition, and differentiation respectively, depending on the nature of the target cells.
IL-6 is involved in:
- the induction of B-cell differentiation,
- the induction of acute phase proteins in liver cells,
- growth promotion of myeloma/plasmacytoma/hybridoma cells,
- induction of IL-2 and IL-2 receptor expression,
- proliferation and differentiation of T cells,
- inhibition of cell growth of certain myeloid leukemic cell lines and induction of their differentiation to macrophages,
- enhancement of IL-3-induced multipotential colony cell formation in hematopoietic stem cells and induction of maturation of megakaryocytes as a thrombopoietic factor,
- induction of mesangial cell growth,
- induction of neural differentiation of PC 12 cells and
- induction of keratinocyte growth
The abnormal production of IL-6 was first suggested to be related to polyclonal B-cell activation with autoantibody production in patients with cardiac myxoma (2). Since then, IL-6 has been suggested to be involved in the pathogenesis of a variety of diseases. Measurement of IL-6 levels in serum and other body fluids thus provides more detailed insights into various pathological situations.
Version 3 - 07.19
For research use only
For any order, the purchaser acknowledges having read and accepted the terms and conditions described on the Diaclone website.